In 2012 at the age of 27, Chef Bernhard Mairinger brought Los Angeles its first taste of authentic Austrian cuisine with BierBeisl restaurant, his highly anticipated solo debut to LA’s dining scene. The restaurant offered diners a chance to enjoy traditional Austrian cuisine with a modern twist, in a space that Los Angeles Weekly said “feels as if it could be tucked into a steep street in a mountain town in Austria, or Belgium, or Germany.”
Zagat Guides recognized the young chef’s talents naming him to their 30Under30 list honoring the rising stars of the Los Angeles culinary scene. Rave reviews soon followed in the Los Angeles Times, LA Weekly and other publications. BierBeisl was named one of the hottest new restaurants by Gayot, Zagat, Los Angeles magazine and Angeleno Magazine. The LA Times included BierBeisl on their 101 Best Restaurants list and LA Weekly selected BierBeisl for its 99 Essential Restaurant list. The Hollywood Reporter declared Chef Mairinger to be one of the Most Influential Chefs in Hollywood with an A-list clientele.
National recognition arrived when Esquire Magazine named BierBeisl one of the Hottest New Restaurants in the U.S. and Chef Mairinger was included on the James Beard Award shortlist. Chef Mairinger made his national television debut on The Food Network’s Iron Chef America’s Battle Oktoberfest battling two Iron Chefs, Michael Symon and Jeffrey Zakarian. Chef Mairinger’s BierBeisl was also selected as a feature in the Beverly Hills Centennial cookbook.
October 2014 marks the debut of BierBeisl Imbiss – a modern casual restaurant and BierBeisl bakery – located in the historic Spring Arcade building in downtown Los Angeles (541 South Spring Street). A larger BierBeisl will open later this year on LA’s Westside with a haute cuisine restaurant, patisserie, and beer garden.
Chef Mairinger will be participating in two major Summer 2014 events: in August, the prestigious LA Food & Wine Festival in downtown and on Labor Day Weekend, Los Angeles Times The TASTE. Art Culinaire magazine’s feature on Mairinger’s artistic food presentations will be available July 2014.
Chef Mairinger was trained in his native Austria and worked in various restaurants and resorts throughout Europe before coming to LA as chef de cuisine at Patina, the Michelin star restaurant, named Best Restaurant of Los Angeles in 2010 by the Los Angeles Times.
- Zagat 30 Under 30 Hottest Up and Comers on February 25, 2012
- NPR’s Good Food feature on restaurant on February 25, 2012
- Huffington Post review on March 26, 2012
- Los Angeles Times review on April 21, 2012
- Gayot Top 10 LA New & Notable Restaurants on June 28, 2012
- Angeleno 10 For 2012 in July 2012 issue
- Los Angeles Magazine review in September 2012 issue
- Esquire’s Best New Restaurants of the Year in October 2012 issue
- Los Angeles Magazine Best New Restaurants of the Year on January 2012
- Los Angeles Weekly review on January 10, 2013
- The Hollywood Reporter Power Lunch feature on February 1, 2013
- The Hollywood Reporter The 20 Most Influential Chefs in Hollywood on June 6, 2013
- Knife Fight / The Esquire Channel / September 2014
- Iron Chef / The Food Network / Battle Oktoberfest / October 2014
- Los Angeles Times Announcement of BierBeisl Imbiss on April 9, 2014
- LA Weekly BierBeisl Popup at Messhall Kitchen/the new BierBeisl on April 29, 2014
- Star Chefs story on LA Chefs Spring 2014
- Art Culinaire feature on Austrian cuisine Summer 2014